Welcome to Rootlet, a site dedicated to expanding awareness around participatory budgeting and charitable giving.
- Every year, members allocate money from an existing fund to their favorite charities via Participatory Budgeting.
- Membership is free, and all votes are equal.
Here is how it works in a bit more detail:
There is a budget
Our current donation pool (for the December 2018 election) is:
There is a list of budget categories and charitable organizations
Our current list of budget categories is:
- Social Justice
Each budget category is composed of multiple non-profit organizations. For the complete list, see https://rootlet.org/organizations
There is a vote
1) When you vote, you rate the importance of every category using a slider. For each category, you also vote the importance of the organizations. Your results might look as follows:
2) The annual budget is divided according to the average of everyone’s preferences. Instead of trying to elect someone who says they will represent your interests, you decide (directly) how the money should be spent.
3) You may nominate new budget categories and charitable organizations at the time of voting for inclusion the subsequent year. Organizations must be legally recognized as charitable organization (i.e. they must have 501c3 status).
There is you
To participate in the budget, just register your email address, and we’ll send you a link to vote in December. You do not need to donate any money: you just decide how the money gets spent. Everyone has an equal say in the budget, and you are welcome to invite your friends to vote for your cause, but please do not vote more than once: that is not fair.